Thursday, August 09, 2007

Ngau Lam Fun at Chong Seng Rice & Noodle House

If you do recall in my previous blog about a ngau lam fun (beef brisket noodle) in Penang, which has thick broth as the soup base. I am introducing you to a clear soup base here in Kuala Lumpur. Don't be mistaken. The standard isn't any lower, just a different way of cooking. Besides the ngau lam fun, they also serve various type of roasted meat rice/noodle. The best is roasted rib. Nyum nyum!

Cantonese-English Translation
Chong - Middle
Seng - City

Location: Taman Maluri, Kuala Lumpur (not the Kepong Maluri, again)
Rating: Good

Review
I am sure you have tried beef noodles at Jalan Alor or near Masjid Jamek, among the famous few. But noodle wise, both the shops lack elasticity. Now I don't mean eating rubber band. I hate that too. What I mean was the brusque feeling when you bite into noodles, rather than soft lame noodles. Hope you get what I mean.
Now, about the beef brisket noodles. I like the soup, the beef balls and the white turnip. The koay teow (flat rice noodle) was quite smooth too. The meat itself is slightly hard and very big piece. If you want to taste the "wilderness" in beef, maybe this could be it. Not for me. I like gentle beef :P
The dried beef noodles here offered thick noodles, which is kinda hard to find in KL. Now even the minced beef sauce here have big piece of meat. I don't know if the cook did this on purpose or he is just a rough/tough guy, but it actually worked well. It is like little moment of surprises when you chewed a small piece of meat with the noodles.
Besides beef balls, I strongly suggest you try ordering fresh beef slices. They normally call it "sang yuk". Beef is best eaten when it is just cooked, not a second longer. Otherwise, it feels like chewing a bigger piece of rubber. These meat are usually crisp and tender. Hmm nyum nyum...

No comments: