Thursday, September 20, 2007

Kedai Kopi Hilltop

I read about this from a beautiful site - http://eatingasia.typepad.com/. I have fallen in love with their photos, writings and ventures. Knowing I will be going to Kota Kinabalu, I took the chance to check out their blogs for info. This is one of the shop they went. There were no address given, just a telephone number for me to call. When I called up, the "tauke nio" (lady boss) could not give me a full address. She kept giving me some names and landmarks that I (not being a Sabahan) do not know. The only name that she kept repeating was Jalan Lintas (Lintas Road). Equipped with a map of KK, we cruised along Jalan Lintas and all other related roads for 3 times. Now Lintas Road is one of the major roads, so it is not a short distance. It took us 1 hour and yet we still failed to find the place. After numerous calls and getting very late (about 11+pm), we gave up and turned to Jalan Bunga Ulam Raja to head back to town centre. And there it was - Kedai Kopi Hilltop!

Location : Kolam Centre, Jalan Bunga Ulam Raja, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Rating : Quite Good

Review
The first thing we ordered and came was the grilled stingray. The fish is marinated and grilled with spices mixed with little bit of curry powder. How do I find this? Maybe I had too high hopes, it turned out to be ok. Quite good, but I find the spices tasted slightly funny. Then we had grilled sotong (squid) in curry sauce. The squid is really fresh and the curry does not over power the meat. But you have to eat them all (squid+sauce) in 1 scoop in order to get the oomph. Because we were so hungry after such a long search, we ordered a fried seafood bee hoon (rice vermicelli). I noted that bee hoon in KK are slightly thicker. The dish looks normal, but it was actually quite tasty. The bee hoon was cooked with enough heat that makes the noodles absorbed the fragrance of seafood. This is the "sign" that we had been looking for the whole 1 hour!With all these info, hope your search will be less tricky :)

No comments: