Sunday, December 02, 2007

Quickie : Kai Kee Min Ka

Sometimes I am quite sure age is catching up. I used to dislike clear hot soup and tasteless kuey teow (flat rice noodles). Nowadays, I crave for some hot soup to start off my day, and I still crave for clear hot soup to end a tiring day. Darn... As Chinese would say it "Sui Yue Pu Liu Ren" - Flowing Time Does Not Wait For People.
That aside... I found a place that I can go no matter how late I work and the standard isn't that far away from Ipoh's Beansprout Chicken.

Cantonese-English Translation
Kai - Chicken
Kee - Record or story
Min - Mee or noodles
Ka - House

Location: Jalan Loke Yew, Kuala Lumpur
Rating: Above average

Review
Everytime I am there I will have a bowl of kuey teow soup. I like mixing in some chopped small chilies and some soy sauce from the chopped chicken. I know it is kinda extreme, maybe I wasn't that mellowed after all. heh heh.. The kuey teow is quite smooth. Not as smooth as Ipoh's, but good enough. Soup wise it is less fragrant compared to Ipoh.

I think the taugeh (beansprout in Hokkien/Malay) was ok. At least it is quite fat and juicy.The chicken is good. Soft and tender to the bite. Skin may not be as crispy or springy, but clean and not too fat or chewy.Among other things you can order include rice, pork ball, chicken organ, and all sorts of noodles. We had four extra pork balls. The texture has more substance but not sure if the "springiness" is due to fresh meat being used or due to citric acid. Anyway, you can taste that it is lesser here.
There is a shop nearby that seems quite famous for Fried Hokkien Mee. Unfortunately we are not a fan of thick yellow noodles, so we have not been to this shop so far. Someday...

No comments: